IAEA Workshop in Trieste
November 6 to 10, 2017 in Trieste, Italy there was held the Workshop on Fundamentals of Vitrification and Vitreous Materials for Nuclear Waste Immobilisation is jointly organized by The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). The workshop was attended by participants-representatives of scientific and industrial organizations from the United Kingdom, France, the Russian Federation, Italy, the United Sates of America, the People’s Republic of China, Germany, India, Hungary, South Africa, Bangladesh, Iran, Pakistan, Argentina, Ukraine and Thailand.
Ukraine at the workshop was represented by the researcher of the ISP NPP NAS of Ukraine, the head of Decommissioning Department, PhD Andriy Sizov.
The workshop was devoted to advances in understanding fundamentals of vitrification and utilization of vitreous materials in nuclear applications focusing on topics related to immobilization of nuclear wastes.
The workshop brought together researchers from the area of materials science with a focus on vitreous materials for nuclear energy and promoted scientific exchange among material science experts. It assisted experts from nuclear energy research, materials science and vitrification to better understand and appreciate the wide range and full potential of glass science and technology tools and methods devoted to vitrification and properties of vitreous materials.
The main topics of the Workshop are:
- Fundamentals of vitrification and structural changes at glass transition;
- Stability of glassy state and durability of vitreous materials;
- Viscous flow in vitreous materials and the viscosity of glasses and melts;
- Nuclear waste vitrification and properties of vitreous wasteforms;
- Self-heating and self-irradiation effects in glasses containing radioactive waste;
- Theoretical methods to investigate and simulate glasses and melts at glass transition;
- Uses of computer codes for study of microstructure, ageing and corrosion of glasses.
After graduation, all participants of the workshop were granted with certificates of successful completion of training.
This post is also available in: Ukrainian